B. J. Smith retired from the OSU Department of Art in June 1994 after serving 29 years as the Director of the Gardiner Art Gallery, which he started in 1965. A graduate of Guymon High School in 1950, he graduated from then Oklahoma A & M College in 1955 with a BFA. After Serving in the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers with a commission from Oklahoma A & M's ROTC between 1955 and 1957, he received his MFA from the University of Oklahoma, Norman in 1959. Living in California's Bay Area between 1959 and 1961, he attended the University of California, Berkeley's College of Education in 1961. Returning to Oklahoma, he worked at the Oklahoma Art Center, now the Oklahoma Museum of Art, in Oklahoma City as the Assistant Director from 1961 until 1965. In August of 1965, he was hired by the OSU Department of Art to start its first full time gallery. He ran OSU's gallery as a staff of one, hanging eleven shows a year until retirement.
A painter, he is in the permanent collections of the Museum of Art, University of Oklahoma; the Oklahoma State Collection of Artists and Craftsmen, Oklahoma City; the Oklahoma Museum of Art and the Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska and numerous private collections. He is included in the publication, Who's Who in American Art, since 1978, published by R. R. Bowker Company, New York City. He is also included in Who's Who in the South & Southwest, Marquis Who's Who, Chicago and Men of Achievement, Melrose Press Ltd, Cambridge, England.
View the lastest information on B.J. Smith here.
^ Back to top